Radiology/referred back pain

Question
My general doctor and I are pretty sure that the pelvic/groin pain I often have on just one side is referred pain from my lower back, I had a herniated disk years ago. Sometimes there is pain in the back and groin at the same time and sometimes it's just the back, it moves around. And a lot of the time there is just groin pain with no back pain. My Dr. says it is still likely referred pain from the back, even when the back itself isn't hurting. Have you heard of that? And if I had a spinal MRI, would the images be able to either confirm or rule out that the pain in the groin area is in fact due to a back issue?  Thanks

Answer
Lee,

Yes you can have a radicular pain (not really referred pain) involving your groin. MRI of the lumbar spine should help define this better if the nerve going to your groin is involved.
If not pain can be referred as well in a small number of cases.  Back pain in general is a very complex issue and every person is different in terms of how the symptoms appear.
My other advise is see a specialist after MRI. Start with physical therapist, then depending on MRI results, I would see a pain specialist (usually an anesthesiologist).  

Hope this is helpful
MK

Radiology

Michael K.