Radiology/referred back pain

My general doctor and I are pretty sure that the pelvic/groin pain I often have on just one side is referred pain from my lower back, I had a herniated disk years ago. Sometimes there is pain in the back and groin at the same time and sometimes it's just the back, it moves around. And a lot of the time there is just groin pain with no back pain. My Dr. says it is still likely referred pain from the back, even when the back itself isn't hurting. Have you heard of that? And if I had a spinal MRI, would the images be able to either confirm or rule out that the pain in the groin area is in fact due to a back issue?  Thanks

Yes you can have a radicular pain (not really referred pain) involving your groin. MRI of the lumbar spine should help define this better if the nerve going to your groin is involved.
If not pain can be referred as well in a small number of cases.  Back pain in general is a very complex issue and every person is different in terms of how the symptoms appear.
My other advise is see a specialist after MRI. Start with physical therapist, then depending on MRI results, I would see a pain specialist (usually an anesthesiologist).  

Hope this is helpful

Michael K.

Almost any kind of questions regarding any types of radiology exams, procedures, meaning of radiology reports etc...

12 year experience in the field of radiology

American Society of Neuroradiology, Senior Member Society of Pediatric Radiology, Active Member

Radiology Seminars in pediatric neurology American Journal of Roentgenology American Journal of Neuroradiology

Board Certified in Diagnostic Radiology Additional Certificate of Qualification in Neuroradiology