Radiology/MRI of Brain

Question
Respected Sir/Madam
         My 90 year old father is suffering from suspected Alzheimer`s Disease for which he requires MRI of Brain.Normally MRI of Brain is done with the patient in cool and calm condition.But as the patient is restless whether MRI can be done by giving him sleeping pills/injection to keep the patient cool during MRI.Please help with your answer.
         With thanks

Answer
Hello, Kalyan.

Yes, patients must be cooperative and motionless during an MRI exam. If the patient is unable to remain motionless, it is common to sedate the patient. If your father's health allows it, his physician can order a sedative to be given just before the MRI exam.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White