Radiology/chest ct and liver visibility

Question
Hi Michael,

I had a chest ct done two weeks ago (for unexplained cough) and the results came back normal.

I am soon to do an abdominal ultrasound because of increased liver enzymes (ALT only).

I was wondering if my chest CT would have imaged my entire liver, and already ruled out conditions like cancer or fatty liver.

I cannot seem to find any info online as to how much of the liver is visible on chest ct.

Thank you!!

Valerie.

Answer
Valerie,

Usually, CT chest will cover some of the liver but not the entire liver. The lower aspect of the liver is usually not visible.  Also chest CT was probably done without IV contrast.  To evaluate the liver on CT, IV contrast is necessary.  

Hope this is helpful.

Michael  

Radiology

Michael K.