Radiology/Radio Therapy for benign conditions

Please could you tell me when radiation therapy for benign conditions, such as tonsillitis and ringworm stopped in Canada and the USA. I'm trying to determine if I received this.

Thank you, Meghan

Hello, Meghan.

According to the article I found at , radiation therapy was used from 1940 1960s to treat benign conditions.

Another source at , states that radiation was used from the 1920's to the early 1970's, to shrink enlarged thymus glands, tonsils and adenoids, to clear up birth marks and to treat acne and ringworm of the scalp.

The Thyroid Foundation of Canada's website at states:

"The only known risk for thyroid cancer is radiation. From the 1920s to the mid-1950s, thousands of children received X-ray treatments to the head and neck areas. Back then, X-ray therapy was used to treat swollen tonsils and adenoids, ring worm of the scalp, acne and other non-cancerous conditions; no one foresaw its long-term complications."

Hope this helps,

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.