Radiology/Chest xray depth

Hi. If I've had my lungs xrayed recently would that show up any damage or tumors on the ribcage? Or are the lungs and ribcage xrayed at different depths?

Hello, Philip.

Yes, the techniques used to x-ray the lungs are different than those used to visualize the ribs. Rib x-rays have more contrast (more black & white) and x-rays for lungs have more shades of gray.

That said, it is entirely possible to see damage or tumors of the rib cage in a chest x-ray. However, it is also easy to miss rib pathology while interpreting a chest x-ray due to positioning and/or film contrast.

Hope this helps,

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.