Radiology/Chest xray depth

Question
Hi. If I've had my lungs xrayed recently would that show up any damage or tumors on the ribcage? Or are the lungs and ribcage xrayed at different depths?

Answer
Hello, Philip.

Yes, the techniques used to x-ray the lungs are different than those used to visualize the ribs. Rib x-rays have more contrast (more black & white) and x-rays for lungs have more shades of gray.

That said, it is entirely possible to see damage or tumors of the rib cage in a chest x-ray. However, it is also easy to miss rib pathology while interpreting a chest x-ray due to positioning and/or film contrast.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White