Radiology/Prostate MRI

Question
Dear Michael

I'm 44 and have requested a prostate MRI in a 3T scanner. My PSA is low, but I want the scan for peace of mind.

What worries me, is the scan might see some problems woth a hernia mesh I had inserted a few years ago. A problem that otherwise wouldn't have bothered me.

Have you come across a situation where prostate MRI's have produced incidental issues with hernia mesh?

Many thanks

Lewis

Answer
Lewis,
Sorry for the delay.
Excellent question. It depends on what the mesh is made from. Most of them are synthetic or non Ferro magnetic..so they sould not be a problem at all..your MRI technologists would go over things like these with you prior to the exam. They may tell you to watch for heating in that location and tell them if feel warmth... However, I do not foresee any problems.
Hope this helps.
Michael K

Radiology

Michael K.