Radiology/Repeat MRI contrasts

Question
Hi Dr. K,

Sorry for all these messages.  The questions just randomly come to mind.  

Do you know what the effects are of having repeat contrast injections (MRI)?  I've had one just about every 2 years for the past 10 years and 2 already this year.  Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks,
Diane

Answer
Diane

there are some research studies going on, very preliminary that perhaps Gadolinium which is a metal in the MRI contrast may be deposited in tissues at minuscule amounts but no one really knows what it affects if anything.... Patients with poor kidney function may experience other side effects. there is serious condition that occurs extremely rarely called nephrogenic systemic fibrosis....research may point to older MRI contrast agents as a cause...this is not to scare you but rather providing you with full information since you asked the question... I would not worry about it but I would encourage you to see a specialist and not seek repeated images without a good indication.

MK

Radiology

Michael K.