Radiology/MRI LUMBOSACRAL SPINE Report

Question
Can you please help me identify the exact issue for the following mentioned MRI report of my Mother; I would really obliged.

Clinical indication:
History of lower back pain radiating to left leg. Numbness in left leg and foot.
Technique:
Multiplanar, multisequential non contrast MRI Lumbosacral Spine.
Report:
Straightening of lumbar curve is noted most likely due to muscular spasm. Multilevel fat infiltration of
vertebral body is noted. Multilevel degenerative disc disease is noted with reduced hydration.
At L2-3 and L3-4 level, early disc desiccation is noted to cause any neural compromise.
At L4-5 level, concentric disc bulge is noted causing mild central, left lateral recess and foraminal narrowing
and mild to moderate right lateral recess and foraminal narrowing.
At L5-S1 level, concentric disc bulge is noted causing mild central canal and lateral recess narrowing.
Posterior elements hypertrophy is noted at this level augmenting lateral recess narrowing.
Vertebral body heights are intact. Bone marrow MR signals are within normal limits.Conus is at D12-L1 level.
Cauda equina fibers are intact. No abnormal paraspinal soft tissue mass is seen.
IMPRESSION:
Straightening of lumbar curve is noted most likely due to muscular spasm.
Multilevel degenerative disc disease more marked at L4-5 showing concentric disc bulge causing mild left
lateral recess and foraminal narrowing and mild to moderate right recess and foraminal narrowing.

Answer
Hello, Qamar.

I don't really understand your question. If you are asking me to diagnose your Mother's problem from this report, I'm afraid I cannot help you. I am not qualified to diagnose disease. Only a physician can give you a diagnosis. I recommend you ask this question of the physician who ordered this exam for an explanation.

The results indicate that your mother may have muscle spasms in her back and that she has degenerative disc disease (a normal side-effect of aging) with a mild bulging disc at L4-5 (the area at waist level). The bulging disc may be pressing on the nerves on both sides (foraminal narrowing), which may cause pain down both legs.

Please consult your Mother's physician for a more detailed explanation.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White