Radiology/Harmful effects of X-Rays

Question
I have to take Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA), bone density study.  I, also have to take Digital mammography test.

I am concerned about the harmful effects, whether from radiation or other things. In your opinion, what are some of the best ways to protect myself; whether I should  space the tests a week apart, etc.  

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hello Sallie,
Sorry it took me awhile to answer your question.

The best way to decide is to understand the amount of radiation you are getting and then understand risk/benefits of getting the exam and not getting the exam.

DXA scan has miniscule amount of radiation which really should not be a concern at all.

Mammography certainly has some radiation dose but then you need to think of your risk of developing cancer from radiation exposure vs your risk of developing breast cancer in general.  The latter one is much higher; hence it makes sense to protect yourself from a high known risk of cancer and disregard a theoretical risk of cancer from medical radiation exposure.

a good site to visit is xrayrisk.com

Hope this helps.

MK

Radiology

Michael K.