Radiology/Harmful effects of X-Rays

I have to take Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA), bone density study.  I, also have to take Digital mammography test.

I am concerned about the harmful effects, whether from radiation or other things. In your opinion, what are some of the best ways to protect myself; whether I should  space the tests a week apart, etc.  

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Sallie,
Sorry it took me awhile to answer your question.

The best way to decide is to understand the amount of radiation you are getting and then understand risk/benefits of getting the exam and not getting the exam.

DXA scan has miniscule amount of radiation which really should not be a concern at all.

Mammography certainly has some radiation dose but then you need to think of your risk of developing cancer from radiation exposure vs your risk of developing breast cancer in general.  The latter one is much higher; hence it makes sense to protect yourself from a high known risk of cancer and disregard a theoretical risk of cancer from medical radiation exposure.

a good site to visit is

Hope this helps.

Michael K.

Almost any kind of questions regarding any types of radiology exams, procedures, meaning of radiology reports etc...

12 year experience in the field of radiology

American Society of Neuroradiology, Senior Member Society of Pediatric Radiology, Active Member

Radiology Seminars in pediatric neurology American Journal of Roentgenology American Journal of Neuroradiology

Board Certified in Diagnostic Radiology Additional Certificate of Qualification in Neuroradiology