Radiology/MRI BRAIN

I have had multiple MRI's with changes and I confused as to what to do my current neurologist was checking me for MS again and he stated that my recent MRI was abnormal and said I have  fibromyalgia. I am a 44 year old female with leg weakness and numbness I also have numbness to hands and face. I suffer from trigeminal neuralgia and tremors.  my report from 2012 stated No acute intracranial abnormality identified. Nonspecific foci of increased T2 signal within the subcortical and periventricular white matter, a new finding when compared to prior MRI of 2005.  Cerebral atrophy greater then expected for patients age.   

Then the most recent from 2014 findings  are Multiple scattered punctate round and oval shaped T2/T2 Flair hyperintense foci measuring between 3 and 8 mm within the peripheral and intermediate white mater of the frontal and parietal lobes.  Oval shaped T2/T2 Flair hyperintense focus measuring 6x5x5mm along the anterolateral right basal ganglia medial to the insular cortex and anterior to the right lentiform  nucleus. Patchy T2/T2 flair hyperintense focus along the deep periventricular white matter of the left frontal lobe with subtle T2/T2 flair hyperintense signal in the deep periventricular white matter of the right frontal lobe. none of the above described white matter lesions enhance. No infratentorial lesions. Unremarkable callosal septal interface.
He did not explain to me what all of this means can you help me understand it please?  Thank you

Hello Leisa,

sorry it took me awhile to answer your question.

MS usually gives similar findings in the brain that is described. However, the location of the ones in your brain is not typical/classic for MS.  The MRI never excludes the diagnosis of MS so it is important that your neurologists has a good clinical understanding of what your symptoms are and perhaps may run a few other tests to include spinal tap if he/she feels like there is high chance for MS in your case.

There are many other things that can present with similar brain spots.  Sometimes doctors can figure out the cause and sometimes not.  Top things that can be diagnosed presenting with similar findings are patients with high risk for heart disease, patients with diabetes and high cholesterol.  Other less common diagnoses are vasculitis.  People with migraines can have similar findings.  

Hope this helps.

Michael K.

Almost any kind of questions regarding any types of radiology exams, procedures, meaning of radiology reports etc...

12 year experience in the field of radiology

American Society of Neuroradiology, Senior Member Society of Pediatric Radiology, Active Member

Radiology Seminars in pediatric neurology American Journal of Roentgenology American Journal of Neuroradiology

Board Certified in Diagnostic Radiology Additional Certificate of Qualification in Neuroradiology