Radiology/What's after radiology tech?

hi, I've emailed you a couple times.

Let's just assume I complete the radtech program and become licensed and certified with my state as an XRay technician.

What is next???
Do you have to take extra classes and get extra certifications to be a sonographer, or to do cat scans, or MRI? What about beyond that, the new 3D and 4D imaging?

Do you have to go to 4 year schools? or do you get training with your job?

also should I pick up an extra license or degree in something else, such as phlebotomy or medical secretarial work?

Hello, Kayla.

Things have changed so much since I was in school, I'm not sure how important it is to take formal classes to specialize in CT and MRI. You definitely need extra classes to learn Ultrasound.

I personally learned CT & MR on the job. I was lucky enough to work in a department that was willing to train x-ray techs OTJ. It is definitely helpful to take a few CE courses in cross-sectional anatomy for US , CT and MRI.

You do not need to go through 4 years of training. Most X-ray programs are 24 months, after which you can go to work immediately for $25 - $35/hour.

There are 12 month MRI programs, but I don't recommend them. Your options for employment are severely limited if you are not a registered X-ray tech first. Having worked with an MRI tech from one of those MR-only programs, I can tell you that their education is not as comprehensive as that provided by an accredited radiologic technologist program.

An extra license you may need might be a venipuncture license. That is usually achieved by on-the-job training.

Requirements vary state to state. For more information, you might contact a radiology department near you. They may even let you observe or shadow an x-ray tech for a few hours.

Good luck!

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.