Radiology/Radiology and Inflammation

I have heard a YES and a NO to the ability of inflammation being seen on an X-Ray.  Hopefully you can clear this up and what might they be seeing that makes them think it represents inflammation (in the event it is not detectable)?  Thank you!

Hello, Debbie.

X-rays are better to visualize cortical (hard) bone and bony disease. Joint inflammation (arthritis) DOES show up on x-ray images. Inflammation of the soft tissue (muscle, vascular, bony marrow or fatty tissue is better seen with MRI.

Hope this helps,

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.