Radiology/MRI for possible renal cell carcinoma

In using MRI for differential diagnosis of RCC from other possible conditions (e.g., angiomyolipomas), does it make a difference whether the MRI is an open-bore 1.5 Tesla machine or a closed-bore 3 Tesla machine?  Since the decision as to whether or not I need to have a kidney removed will largely depend upon imaging results, I want to insure that I have the best imaging possible.
Thank You

Hello, Paul.

Here is a good article comparing the 1.5 vs the 3.0 Tesla scanners:

There are a number of things to consider; cost, scan time, etc. The 1.5 Tesla magnet is the industry standard and can generate beautiful images. The 3.0 T magnet can create thinner slices and greater detail.

Your physician and the attending radiologist are the best people to decide which scanner would be best to visualize your kidneys. Either one will create acceptable images.

Best of luck with your results.

Hope this helps a little,

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.