Radiology/Abdominal xray

My son recently had an X ray for some ongoing abdominal issues. The final report read "Air & stool present throughout the colon. No dilated loops of small bowel visualized. " the only problem with this is that my son had a complete colectomy years ago. So when we questioned the doctor they said "they meant his small bowel" so my questions are: can you mistake a small bowel for a colon? Does this make sense when the small bowel was also mentioned?  I am very frustrated!

If there is a colectomy then certainly small bowel will have some stool.  While you should be able to differentiate the small bowel from colon, I think the radiologist perhaps didn't chose the words carefully when dictating.  I can certainly understand your frustration.  The small bowel that was mentioned just didn't have stool in it and it was normal, ie not dilated.  There should have been an appearance on a colectomy on the xray.  Again, if I would have to guess what happened, I'd say that the radiologist inadvertently used the wrong term...just because we are so used to saying  "...stool through out the COLON" just slipped out as he or she was reading many xrays a day.

Hope it settles the issue for you.

Michael K.

Almost any kind of questions regarding any types of radiology exams, procedures, meaning of radiology reports etc...

12 year experience in the field of radiology

American Society of Neuroradiology, Senior Member Society of Pediatric Radiology, Active Member

Radiology Seminars in pediatric neurology American Journal of Roentgenology American Journal of Neuroradiology

Board Certified in Diagnostic Radiology Additional Certificate of Qualification in Neuroradiology