Radiology/Cone Beam CT

Question
QUESTION: Good Evening,

I have been reading articles online and the more I read, the more scared I am.

My son is 7 years old. I took him to see orthodontist according to his dentist's suggestion. The nurse took him to take x-rays and I thought they are conventional x-rays. Later I knew that she used I-CATŪ CONE BEAM CT to do the x-rays. Cone Beam CT releases a lot more radiation than conventional x-rays and children are more vulnerable to radiations. I am very worried.

Thank you very much for replying to my questions. How harmful Cone Beam CT could be to young children? What can I do now to reduce risk of potential problem?

Thank you!

Michaela

ANSWER: Michaela,

DO NOT WORRY about this.  On line stuff scares anyone who is not a professional and can understand actual risks.  Yes CT is more radiation than a plain X-ray but it is by no means worrisome amount.  a 6 hour flight on an air plane is also radiation exposure equal that of an X-ray.  we get exposed to radiation all the time.  dental CTs  are minimal radiation.

Hope this helps.

MK

QUESTION: Thank you very much for the reply. I have one follow-up question. My son was not covered with a leaded vest during the Cone Beam CT, is this worrisome? Thank you.

Answer
Not at all...leaded vest don't do anything besides make you feel uncomfortable...and make patients feel like something important is happening.  The beam is so coned to the area of imaging that there is absolutely no significant scatter of radiation beam to harm anything

Radiology

Michael K.