Radiology/iodine contrst

Question
If a reaction such as itchy throat occurs with in seconds to the iodine iv and the iv is stopped would the reaction differ from the iv being continued to end of the ct some 30-45 min later.

Answer
Jessica,

Firstly I hope you meant 30-45 seconds later...not minutes.  No CT goes for that long :)

Interesting question.  It is certainly much better to stop the infusion as quickly as possible.  However, sometimes even a small amount of allergen can produce a very severe reaction.  In general, smaller amount would in theory have a milder reaction.

Hope this helps.  I am very sorry for the delay in answering your question.

MK

Radiology

Michael K.