Radiology/Dental Panoramic X-Ray Dose

Question
Hello,

I just received a panoramic dental x-Ray. The technologist showed me the digital radiograph which has this at the bottom of the image:

"70kV 8mA 12s 59mGy*cm2"

Does this mean I received 59mGy during a dental x-Ray? That is an absolutely terrifying dose. Some 25 times that of a CT scan.

Am I misunderstanding something? Is that even possible during a dental X-Ray? The equipment looks modern.

Thanks for your help,

Jesse

Answer
Hello, Jesse.

According to this calculator: http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/EN/units-converter/radiation/21-12/sievert%2

59mGy = .059mSv which is a much more realistic absorbed dose for dental x-rays, according to the chart on this page: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=safety-xray

The units measuring radiation dose and exposure can be confusing. A measure of the energy deposited in a medium by ionizing radiation per unit mass is represented by the gray (Gy). The absorbed dose depends not only on the incident radiation but also on the absorbing material.

One sievert is the amount of radiation necessary to produce the same effect on living tissue as one gray of high-penetration x-rays. Quantities that are measured in sieverts are designed to represent the biological effects of ionizing radiation.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White