Radiology/lead apron necessary?

Hi.I recently had a standing side spinal x-ray done by a chiropractor. He got me situated but didn't say anything about wearing a half lead apron, which was right there in the room. I asked him should I put the apron on , to which he said it's not necessary during during a side view x-ray. Is that standard? thank you much.

Hi, Terry.

Presuming he was taking an x-ray of your low back or lumbar spine, "It's not necessary" is really not an accurate response to your question whether to put the lead apron on or not. A more accurate response would be that "a lead apron would obscure the anatomy I need to see."

Your waist is at about the middle of the lumbar spine. A lead apron around your waist would obscure the lower half of your lumbar spine and the sacrum.

On the other hand, if you were having your upper back, chest or neck x-rayed, it would be appropriate to wear a lead shield.

Hope this helps,

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.