Rare Diseases/abdominal adhesions

I am a 60 year-old post-menopausal woman who just had (April 10) a Da Vinci assisted robotic hysterectomy after a diagnosis of endometriod adenocarcinoma of the endometrium.I have a total of 5 small incisions.In addition, the uterus was removed vaginally as there wasn't much enlargement. At the same time I had a surgical removal of extensive symptomatic pelvic and abdominal adhesions. The adhesions were removed robotically as well. I was not made aware of the extent of the adhesions until the next day.
At pre-op  I received post-op instructions for the hysterectomy (and associated lymph node biopsies, etc) but not for the adhesion removal. I am experiencing severe abdominal pain after eating and drinking a moderately-sized meal. I should add that I have collagenous colitis, so I assumed my abdominal discomfort was related to the colitis. However the persistence and nature of the pain and associated digestive issues lead me to the conclusion that the adhesion removal was a major contributing factor. I called post-op today and they just said to eat very small meals. Could you please give me some specific guidelines to follow so that I do not jeopardize my recovery. I could not find post-op instructions for adhesion removal online. I could only find info concerning the recurrence of adhesions after abdominal surgery. I was told by the surgeon that adhesions removed robotically do not reoccur. What are your thoughts on this?

Hi Harriet, this is a little outside my knowledge, I would assume that the instructions for post op pelvic and abdominal adhesions would be about the same as any post op for pelvic and abdominal surgeries.  No lift heavier than 10 pounds, be careful bending, no rigorous activities, be sure you are eating fiber and fruit and if you have any constipation issues use some type of stool softener, smaller than usual meals, and to watch for any fevers, extreme pain, different color stool or urine (could indicate infection). If an adhesion is made up of scar tissue then it can come back.

Rare Diseases

Tina Budde

I can help on all aspects of the condition, treatment, support. I cannot diagnose but only give my personal expertise, and refer you to others who can help. I am in touch with doctors, therapists, and professionals on a regular basis. I can help with disability issues pertaining to lymphedema or cancer.

15 year cancer survivor, Lymphland International Lymphedema Online (LILO)Support group owner, Owner of Lymphland.com website, former writer for Butterfly Gazette, Editor for ELymphNotes online lymphedema magazine, patient and advocate for 16 years, Yahoo answers advanced level answerer.

Lymphland Support Group Owner, Lymphland.com website owner, American Society of Lymphology member, ELymphNotes forums coordinator; writer; and editor; member of many online support groups. Rainbow Bridge Pet Loss Grief Counselor, former bank loan rep, pharmacy ass't

ELymphNotes Lymphedema Magazine, Butterfly Gazette, many other health oriented websites and newspapers.

college graduate, volunteer in pet loss grief counselling.

Yahoo groups best of health and wellness 2007 award, World's best 2008 nominee, HonCode acceptance.