Raw Foods/Raw Cacao follow up

I asked the question the other day about whether you believed raw cacao was un healthy or not. Since I have a $10 or so bag of raw beans is there anything I can do with them rather than throw them away that would make them healthy or at least less unhealthy? Roast them, boil? them anything? Or must I simply chalk it up to insufficient research prior to making a poor purchase?

Hi Len,

It's up to you but if you really think about it $10 is not much when it concerns your health. As far as I know nothing you can do will make them any healthier. If you really don't want to throw them out, or gift them to someone that is a cacao enthusiast, you could add a few to a large green smoothie early in the day when you will be active.  Adding some fat like coconut oil or flax might help buffer the effects to some degree. Adding a few every other day or so like this until they’re gone would be one way, however you could experience detox symptoms when they’re all gone.  If it was me I would put them in the compost heap. Best of luck to you.

Be Well and Wonderful, Hugh

Raw Foods

Hugh Cruickshank

I can answer most questions pertaining to a raw vegan diet.

Hugh has been studying health and fitness for more than 35 years, and professionally sharing his knowledge with others since 1994. He’s presented throughout the Western US, as well as Canada and Australia. Hugh does health coaching and spreads the message of a better life through his raw foods website He’s been a vegan since 1992, the last 10 years following a 100% raw food diet.

Graduate of the Academy for Coach Training, College nutrition, and Science of Raw Food Nutrition Levels I & II and Benefits of Raw Food Nutrition Educator Certification.

One success story. I've been meaning to let you know how helpful you've been in directing me on the right path in nutrition. Since attending your seminar and following your advice, I have lost almost thirty pounds and recovered a great deal of the energy I thought I had lost due to "old age." I found eliminating hurtful substances from my diet was much easier than I thought--fresh fruits and green vegetables provide me with good digestion and regularity--as well as delicious-tasting meals. I've mentioned you to friends and hope they are wise enough to take advantage of your expertise. Best regards, Tom, (senior citizen) Novato, CA