Raw Foods/Raw Cacao

I have been eating small amounts of raw cacao beans lately because I read it is healthy and loaded with anti oxidants. Today I read it is toxic and unhealthy. What do you think about raw cacao?

Hi Len,

Cacao does contain numerous antioxidants, but it also contains stimulants and toxins. I know some people promote it as a super food, but I strongly disagree as do many leaders in the raw food community. I know people who have had bad experiences and substantial detox symptoms when they quite taking it.

There are many wonderful raw fruits and vegetables that contain large amounts of antioxidants and other phytonutrients that help heal the body and keep us youthful. There are also many people thriving on the raw diet, some for decades, which have never had a bite of cacao.

I would recommend you leave it out of your diet, and be healthier because you did. Ill post the link to my "getting started" raw food page where you may find some useful information.

Be Well and Wonderful, Hugh

Raw Foods

Hugh Cruickshank

I can answer most questions pertaining to a raw vegan diet.

Hugh has been studying health and fitness for more than 35 years, and professionally sharing his knowledge with others since 1994. Hes presented throughout the Western US, as well as Canada and Australia. Hugh does health coaching and spreads the message of a better life through his raw foods website Hes been a vegan since 1992, the last 10 years following a 100% raw food diet.

Graduate of the Academy for Coach Training, College nutrition, and Science of Raw Food Nutrition Levels I & II and Benefits of Raw Food Nutrition Educator Certification.

One success story. I've been meaning to let you know how helpful you've been in directing me on the right path in nutrition. Since attending your seminar and following your advice, I have lost almost thirty pounds and recovered a great deal of the energy I thought I had lost due to "old age." I found eliminating hurtful substances from my diet was much easier than I thought--fresh fruits and green vegetables provide me with good digestion and regularity--as well as delicious-tasting meals. I've mentioned you to friends and hope they are wise enough to take advantage of your expertise. Best regards, Tom, (senior citizen) Novato, CA