Real Estate: Arizona/Swimming Pool Upkeep on Rental Property

My mother rented a home with a pool and spa for 3 months at $4000 a month.  The pool was not working when she arrived and when family came to AZ to visit, the pool was not available to them.  After continued attempts to have the pool maintenance done, my mother quite asking.  The pool became worse.  I took pictures and text them to the leasing agent.  The pool was disgusting with low water, algae and smelling like a swamp.  The leasing agent continued to tell my mother he would make it right.  When he came to the walk through for ending the rental, he acted surprised.  My mom is elderly and not assertive enough to demand action.  This situation caused my mom to become frustrated and give up.  How can I help her make it right?  Is there any legal recourse?  Who can I contact in the NE Valley for assistance?

You should of acted on this much earlier.  All of your rights are spelled out in the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act.  He is what could of been done.  

Tenant Options if Landlord Fails to Comply

Self-Help for Minor Defects A.R.S. § 33-1363

If a landlord fails to make repairs and the problem can be fixed for either less than $300 or an amount equal to one-half of the monthly rent (whichever is greater), the tenant can notify the landlord of his intention to repair the problem at the landlord’s expense. The notification should be in writing. If the landlord does not fix the problem within 10 days from receiving the notice, the tenant can hire a licensed contractor, submit a repair bill to the landlord, and deduct the cost of the work from his rent. This provision does not apply if the damage was caused by the tenant or one of his guests.

Now I take it she is moving out and you want some compensation.  I don't know how you would get any money or satisfaction now.  

You could contact a real estate attorney but I don't know how you would be compensated this late in the game.  Sorry I could not have any better news.

Real Estate: Arizona

Bill Iannelli

Anything to do with residental real estate: Disclosure, title issues, buyer and seller representation, foreclosure, ethics, rentals, landlord rights, evictions, inspection, time frames, Arizona purchase contract. For buying and selling in Arizona contact me at

27 years in the business. Broker owner of Iannelli and Associates. Radio host, expert witness and certified real estate instructor at the Arizona School of Real Estate and Business. Own my own portfolio of real estate, developer of apartments, commercial real estate and single family homes.

National Association of Realtors, Member of both the Phoenix and Prescott multiple listing service.

Desert Advocate Newspaper Carefree Arizona. Question and answer column. Broker agent news, TV and radio stations.

Licensed Real Estate Broker, BS in Education, certified real estate instructor for the Arizona School of Real Estate.

Don't want to brag. Not important to the public. They want answers and advice not me telling them how many millions of dollars of real estate I have sold.