Real Estate: Arizona/Residential

Dear Sir,

My sister has allowed one of her loyal employees live in one of her residential houses in Arizona for over 20 years without any lease contracts nor charged any rent to date.

My question is after she passes and I am her acting trustee for her living trust will I have any trouble giving notice to vacate to her loyal employee or selling the property who has been living there for that many years or are there some steps she needs to take now before she passes to keep the process clean.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Kindest regards,

I would get a lease in place with her.  Would be a much cleaner transaction.  The way it stands now she would revert to a month to month lease. Should something happen to your sister you could give the tenant a 30 day notice to vacate.  The problem is there is nothing in writing showing how much rent she pays.  Always better to get it in writing.

Real Estate: Arizona

Bill Iannelli

Anything to do with residental real estate: Disclosure, title issues, buyer and seller representation, foreclosure, ethics, rentals, landlord rights, evictions, inspection, time frames, Arizona purchase contract. For buying and selling in Arizona contact me at

27 years in the business. Broker owner of Iannelli and Associates. Radio host, expert witness and certified real estate instructor at the Arizona School of Real Estate and Business. Own my own portfolio of real estate, developer of apartments, commercial real estate and single family homes.

National Association of Realtors, Member of both the Phoenix and Prescott multiple listing service.

Desert Advocate Newspaper Carefree Arizona. Question and answer column. Broker agent news, TV and radio stations.

Licensed Real Estate Broker, BS in Education, certified real estate instructor for the Arizona School of Real Estate.

Don't want to brag. Not important to the public. They want answers and advice not me telling them how many millions of dollars of real estate I have sold.