Real Estate: California/Which would you choose?

My wife and I will be relocating to the Inland Empire area of California in the next few months. We have found two new construction projects that we really like. One is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath town home with attached garage in an established, desirable area of Temecula. The other is in a new area of Lake Elsinore I would describe as more of a city in transition. The home is a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath single family home in a brand new master planned community and the amenities in this community are first rate.

My question is: which is the best option to buy now in anticipation of turning this property into a rental in about 5-7 years? There is a chance we might keep the home to start a family in, but as of now, we see this as becoming an investment property in the next 5-7 years. Which would you choose? The town home in the better location or a larger single family home in a nice new area, albeit less desirable on paper? The prices of the homes are similar.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Make the Califoria Coast Your Home
Make the Califoria Coa  
Hi Mike:

In my opinion, I would not buy real estate in either of the areas you mentioned. I am a strong believer that anywhere near the ocean is a good investment. Properties away from the ocean are not appealing to the masses, and if you appeal the masses you will increase your investment potential tenfold.  I followed my own advice by buying a home in Venice California and then Manhattan Beach, CA and now Arroyo Grande California. My home is worth nearly one million dollars and I do not have a mortgage.

I am not sure why the “Inland Empire” appeals to you.  So, unless there is a career job opportunity there, I would suggest buying some ware else.    Life is just too short and where you live will make it worth living.

I specialize in the Central Coast of California, but there are several other beach towns along the California coast to choose from.  If you are young, and you take my advice, you too will be able to have a home without a mortgage near the ocean.

I am sorry I was not able to answer your question, “Which would you choose,” but I am sure you will thank me in ten years for my suggestion if you move near the ocean. See Photo.

David Norwood

Real Estate: California

David Norwood

I worked as a Licensed Real Estate Appraiser from 1994 to 1999. After moving to the Central Coast of California in 1999,I worked as a License Real Estate Broker. My brokerage company is David Norwood - Central Coast Real Estate. My expertise is in selling Homes and Land including: Short sales, foreclosures, Luxury homes as well as first time home buying. I can answer almost any question about real estate and will provide the pros and cons to any question.

Licensed Certified Real Estate Appraiser 1 to 5. Licensed Real Estate Broker Marketing professional for over 25 years

California and National Association of Realtors Pismo Coast Multiple Listings Service

Licensed Real Estate Broker #01260196 Licensed Real Estate Appraiser exp. Master of Science Degree, Cal Poly BA Art / Marketing, Photography and Design

I am currenty working to find homes for several buyers and have homes Listed for Same in Morro Bay and Land in Santa Margarita.