Real Estate: California/R3 zone

There is a property in R3 zone. Currently there are is a two single unit total of 1,000 square feet on it, they are attach. Can we build another 2 units on the property?

Hi Jennifer.

Your new construction in an R-3 zone is a good one! Please know I am not whimping out when I say you will need to check with the 'powers that be' in your area. Depending on the location of the property, and what kind of amenities it has connect to it, that could mean at the city, county, or if you're unfortunate - the state or federal level. Odds are extremely high it will be handled at the city and/or county level.

As you may know, R-3 zoning is intended for multiple homes. With one duplex is already one the property you may be allowed to add at least one other living unit. It will depend on many things. These will include, but, is not an all inclusive list:
* Size of the lot
* Clearance around the units once another building is built
* Parking
* Accessibility for entering and exiting the property
* Environmental impact of the additional residents and their vehicles, the additional use of the sewer system or septic tank, water availability, etc.

Basically, you want to think like the bureaucrats. Think safety, impact, cost. Although I am located in Santa Clara County, I believe this link to the Los Angeles County website does a very good job of giving you an idea of the kind of things your local government will want to know from you when you inquire:

Good luck! It's a great time to have rental property!

Real Estate: California

Kathryn Hisert; Realtor

Everyone deserves an answer! My rounded background will provide you with information beyond ‘just’ buying and selling. I can answer questions regarding short sales, foreclosures, deed-in-lieu, home staging, vintage home related concerns, most mortgage related questions, and divorcing couples’ housing options. I am a research oriented individual who strongly believes in connecting all the dots and providing as much, or as little, information and communication my clients want or need. My expertise is in San Diego and Santa Clara Counties.

I started in the mortgage industry in January 2002. In November 2004 I earned my real estate license. The combined experience has provided me with experience within multi-faceted programs including, FHA, VA, 'hard money', private financing, short sales, foreclosures and conventional lending programs and purchasing guidelines. My clients experienced a 'one-stop shop'. Since July of 2010 I have concentrated strictly on being a Realtor with niche markets in vintage homes and divorcing couples.

N. San Diego County Association of Realtors California Association of Realtors National Association of Realtors

CDPE: Certified Distressed Property Expert CREDS: Certified Real Estate Divorce Specialist ASP: Accredited Staging Professional