Real Estate: Colorado/Earnest money

Question
The buyer has gone all the way through the appraisal and had to pull out because he didn't sell the home he had to sell in order to buy my home. There was not a contingency in place.

Is the listing agent entitled to half of the earnest money? I thought it all should have come to me as the seller.

Answer
Hello,
If I understand your question correctly, the Buyer defaulted pertaining to having to sell their place by a certain time frame, was unable to meet that deadline, and nothing was written in the contract stipulating that they would receive their earnest money back in such a case...if that is the situation, typically, the listing agent and seller split the amount, unless otherwise mentioned in the listing agreement. Since it is held in escrow, no one person is liable to have it, thus it's split in half between the two parties involved, i.e. the listing agent and Seller.
Hope that helps~
Mary Maloney
303.906.5068

Real Estate: Colorado

Mary Mahoney