Real Estate: Florida/2 year lease

Question
I am hoping you can help me. Is it legal to have a 2yr lease in Florida? I moved into a 3 story townhouse back in Sept 2010. My mother and 2 children live with me. Due to medical reasons my mother can no longer climb the stairs. Since we have moved in my mother now has a heart condition, has a preliminary diagnosis of Alzheimer and is going through changes in her seizure medications. All of her doctors agree that they do not want her climbing the stairs. I spoke to my landlord and he verbally told me it was ok to end this coming Sept. I even told him that I could get him medical documentation to show him but he told it was fine and he didn't need it. We have spoken numerous times about it. I originally told him back in the middle of May. Now I just received a letter from his attorney telling me that he is holding us to our original lease until Sept 2012.I am already purchasing a one story house so we won't have the stairs and so I wont have to keep moving her as the Alzheimer progresses.
Can you please help me?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Sincerely,
Lori

Answer
Hi Lori,

Your question maybe for an attorney, however it sounds as though he is pressing you to make payments by having an attorney send a letter, but has not filed any action against you. The legal process can be lengthy and costly and if he can get you to make payments without taking legal action they will.Most leases are for one year and typically there is a clause for when the contract is terminated and what your penalty would be.Without seeing the lease it's hard to determine what you should do. I would suggest sending a letter to your landlord what you had verbally discussed and copy the attorney. This way you have documentation if they pursue further action.

Good Luck  

Real Estate: Florida

David O'Kelly