Real Estate: Florida/adding person to title


My dad owns a condo in St. Petersburg and would like to add my name to the title so if something happens to him the condo will be in my name as well and that I have possesion of it - who do we need to go see about doing this?

Sorry for the delayed response.  Not sure why I did not see this on 4/12.  

This can be a complicated or a very simple process. If you are an only child and your father is not married you can be added quickly. If there are other family members it gets complicated.  Why?  Is you father married?  Are their other siblings?  If your father is married does the spouse have children from another marriage?  Does your father have a will?  

I would ask your father to consult with a St. Petersburg based title company or real estate attorney for guidance.

This can be done but you need to plan for the future so other family members are not fighting/suing for possession.

I know that is not much of an answer but I hope it helps you get started to find out the best way to accomplish this.

Steve Schiffer
Olde Town Brokers, Inc.

Real Estate: Florida

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Steve Schiffer


Questions about buying, selling, renting or investing in residential and small commercial real estate.


Licensed real estate agent since 2003

Orlando Regional Real Estate Associate (ORRA)

WKMG Channel 6


Awards and Honors
Voted Orlando Magazine Hot Realtor in '06 & '07

©2017 All rights reserved.