Real Estate: Florida/Real estate sale question

Question
My neighbors vacant lot has a tax lien on it for non-payment of (Lee) county property taxes. The owners live in Colombia. They are willing to sel me the lot. What do I have to do to buy the lot from them and pay off the tax lien?

Answer
Walt,
I would find a local real estate attorney and tell him exactly what you want to do. Ask how much the fees would be to manage the transaction as your representation. If you think the fee is reasonable move forward and buy the lot.

If you do not use an attorney or a real estate agent who is experienced enough you may run into title issues.

I suppose you could have the owners quitclaim deed the property to you but with the tax lien and what sounds like foreign ownership of the lot you want to make sure those issues are address properly and you get clear title.  

I hope that helps.

Steve Chaffer
Olden Town Brokers, Inc.  

Real Estate: Florida

Steve Schiffer