Real Estate: Georgia/Can you afford a small apartment in a below avg. cost of living southern city, working a common low wage job?

Question
If you're a single male with no kids, in a small-to-medium sized southern city, like Columbus, (consider the cost of living...it's below national average) would you be able to afford a small apartment if you worked full time at some random job around town like fast food, target, walmart, best buy, a grocery store, etc.

Also, let's say you have a chance to stay in a home you will inherit, with the mortgage already paid off, would you be able to afford it working the same jobs as above?

Which would be the cheaper route???

I just want somewhere to stay on my own until I'm done with college

Answer
Assuming $10/hour/40hours/week =$1700/month~ less 20%taxes =$1360 Take Home.  In the small north Georgia town where I live, you can rent a 2 bedroom house for $500/month.  I don't know about Columbus which might be slightly more expensive due to the Military presence.  Get a roommate and you've cut costs in half and you make it easier on yourself.  I found that having a roommate just made my life a whole lot easier when I had a bit more cash.
So yes it can be done.  However if you stand to inherit a house, I'd sure go that route without question.  If you're a single male you certainly can do repairs on your own.  Get How-To books from the library and advise from Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware.  Remember to put aside money each month for taxes and insurance so you won't get caught without the money to pay them. Then your only living expenses are utilities.  No matter how little you make, always start a savings account for unforeseen expenses such as the furnace goes out.  Live within your means and don't get involved with credit. I had a house when I was single and always had a roommate.  Being a Landlord was pretty nice.
LJ, I totally agree that it's important for you to have the experience of being on your own and think everyone should have that experience. But even if you have a roommate, you are still on your on as far as the responsibility goes, 'cause I can assure you that your roommate won't even consider paying your share of the rent!
Good Luck to you, LJ and keep up with college.

Real Estate: Georgia

Sharon Huneycutt