Real Estate Home Mortgages/lpmi

QUESTION: My loan closed with no mention of pi lpmi or bmi on may 31 2009. On June 1 Fannie Mae took out lpmi and never informed me. Doesn't that violate the homeowners protection act?

ANSWER: Stuart,

June 1 of what year?

QUESTION: The next day, June 1 2009

Portfolio lenders used to build the lpmi cost into the offered interest rate, with no other costs to the borrower. Prior to 2010 such an arrangement did not require a disclosure, but the new Good Faith Estimate and Truth in Lending disclosures do require a separate disclosure to the borrower.

As to the Homeowners Protection Act, I have to be careful here. As a layman, I am prohibited by the owners of this website from offering anything that comes close to giving a legal advise. That being said, here is what I think:

Let's say that the cost of the lpmi was an increase in the rate of 0.75%, and let's further assume that the rate offered people who did not require lpmi was 6.00%. For you, then, the rate was 6.75%. If the lender showed 6.75% on the Truth in Lending form, they most probably complied with the disclosure requirement of the time. If, on the other hand, they disclosed 6.00% but then proceeded to charge you 6.75%, they have certainly violated quite a few laws.

Best wishes,

About Real Estate Home Mortgages
This topic answers questions related to purchasing a home, owning a home, home ownership, mortgage education, mortgage applications, and mortgage needs whether buying a first home or refinancing a current loan. Issues related to home ownership, home equity, mortgage education, refinacing options, home improvment finacing, first time home loans, home equity loans, vactation home loans, and mortgages for investment homes are dealt with here also. Though not the primary focus of this topic, Home Equity Lines of Credits (HELOCS), reverse mortgages, and calculating home equity may also be asked. If you do not see your home mortgae, home finacing, or home equity question answered in this area then please ask a question here

Real Estate Home Mortgages

Eric Forster

Did your last mortgage broker or lender trick you into a messy situation which could cost you your home? I've been close to 30 years in the mortgage industry, and I've seen it all. Believe me, it is not pretty. As the owner of a mortgage company I am called frequently to testify as an expert witness in mortgage fraud cases and other cases where lenders did not fully disclose the terms of the loans they were offering to the borrowers. I have seen fraud being committed by borrowers - and by lenders. It's a tough world out there. And by the way - you are invited to visit my website,

More than 25 years in loan production and underwriting in Southern California.

Mortgage Bankers of America (Southern California Chapter)

Former columnist for AOL Financial Center and the author of a mortgage primer.

MBA (Finance)