Real Estate Home Mortgages/Query

Good day
How does one check to ensure that there is no phony mortgages or money owed on ones property (low cost way).
For instance I got a sales call from some loan company asking me asking my VA loan and I didn not even have a VA loan, neither was I a Veteran.
What are low cost ways or do it yourself ways to ensure that your property is not indebted to loans and other committments that are not of your own and your title is safe and secure.

All recorded documents are public, and can be found either in the County recorder/clerk office or the County courthouse (it varies from state to state).

Sometimes this information is available online, but in most counties you will have to do a manual search to see what has been recorded against your (or any) property. Such search is free.

About Real Estate Home Mortgages
This topic answers questions related to purchasing a home, owning a home, home ownership, mortgage education, mortgage applications, and mortgage needs whether buying a first home or refinancing a current loan. Issues related to home ownership, home equity, mortgage education, refinacing options, home improvment finacing, first time home loans, home equity loans, vactation home loans, and mortgages for investment homes are dealt with here also. Though not the primary focus of this topic, Home Equity Lines of Credits (HELOCS), reverse mortgages, and calculating home equity may also be asked. If you do not see your home mortgae, home finacing, or home equity question answered in this area then please ask a question here

Real Estate Home Mortgages

Eric Forster

Did your last mortgage broker or lender trick you into a messy situation which could cost you your home? I've been close to 30 years in the mortgage industry, and I've seen it all. Believe me, it is not pretty. As the owner of a mortgage company I am called frequently to testify as an expert witness in mortgage fraud cases and other cases where lenders did not fully disclose the terms of the loans they were offering to the borrowers. I have seen fraud being committed by borrowers - and by lenders. It's a tough world out there. And by the way - you are invited to visit my website,

More than 25 years in loan production and underwriting in Southern California.

Mortgage Bankers of America (Southern California Chapter)

Former columnist for AOL Financial Center and the author of a mortgage primer.

MBA (Finance)