Real Estate Home Mortgages/Land down payment

We are looking at using 5 acres that my wife owns as a down payment for a home purchase and they are in different locations both in Oklahoma can we use it for that and does it decrease the amount of loan for home purchase? Thanks

Hi Tony,

If the seller agrees to accept land in lieu of a down payment, then you have a deal. The problem for the seller, though, is what to do with the land. If you do find a seller who is willing to do that, make sure that you have current appraisals on the land and that the appraised valuation is used in your negotiations with the seller. If you don't, the lender will definitely cut down the loan amount.

About Real Estate Home Mortgages
This topic answers questions related to purchasing a home, owning a home, home ownership, mortgage education, mortgage applications, and mortgage needs whether buying a first home or refinancing a current loan. Issues related to home ownership, home equity, mortgage education, refinacing options, home improvment finacing, first time home loans, home equity loans, vactation home loans, and mortgages for investment homes are dealt with here also. Though not the primary focus of this topic, Home Equity Lines of Credits (HELOCS), reverse mortgages, and calculating home equity may also be asked. If you do not see your home mortgae, home finacing, or home equity question answered in this area then please ask a question here

Real Estate Home Mortgages

Eric Forster

Did your last mortgage broker or lender trick you into a messy situation which could cost you your home? I've been close to 30 years in the mortgage industry, and I've seen it all. Believe me, it is not pretty. As the owner of a mortgage company I am called frequently to testify as an expert witness in mortgage fraud cases and other cases where lenders did not fully disclose the terms of the loans they were offering to the borrowers. I have seen fraud being committed by borrowers - and by lenders. It's a tough world out there. And by the way - you are invited to visit my website,

More than 25 years in loan production and underwriting in Southern California.

Mortgage Bankers of America (Southern California Chapter)

Former columnist for AOL Financial Center and the author of a mortgage primer.

MBA (Finance)