Real Estate Home Mortgages/mortgage fraud

Hello sir. First off I would like to thank you for your help. I have a situation with my mortgage company. I purchased this home in 1985. I am trying to pay my home off now. Recently i sent in my final pay off and they are saying they could not accept it. They sent the payment back to me, and are saying that there is a tax disbursement on my home. They want additional $775 Plus charging me late fees for the payment they returned to me. Is there anything I can do or is there any advice that you have for me? To me it sounds like they are scamming me and try to milk me for whatever they can because they know my mortgage is getting ready to be paid off.

Are you current with your property taxes? I am not sure what the "tax disbursement" is, but a delinquent property tax bill could cause that problem. If you have anything in writing from them, please send it directly to me ( and I'll review it.

About Real Estate Home Mortgages
This topic answers questions related to purchasing a home, owning a home, home ownership, mortgage education, mortgage applications, and mortgage needs whether buying a first home or refinancing a current loan. Issues related to home ownership, home equity, mortgage education, refinacing options, home improvment finacing, first time home loans, home equity loans, vactation home loans, and mortgages for investment homes are dealt with here also. Though not the primary focus of this topic, Home Equity Lines of Credits (HELOCS), reverse mortgages, and calculating home equity may also be asked. If you do not see your home mortgae, home finacing, or home equity question answered in this area then please ask a question here

Real Estate Home Mortgages

Eric Forster

Did your last mortgage broker or lender trick you into a messy situation which could cost you your home? I've been close to 30 years in the mortgage industry, and I've seen it all. Believe me, it is not pretty. As the owner of a mortgage company I am called frequently to testify as an expert witness in mortgage fraud cases and other cases where lenders did not fully disclose the terms of the loans they were offering to the borrowers. I have seen fraud being committed by borrowers - and by lenders. It's a tough world out there. And by the way - you are invited to visit my website,

More than 25 years in loan production and underwriting in Southern California.

Mortgage Bankers of America (Southern California Chapter)

Former columnist for AOL Financial Center and the author of a mortgage primer.

MBA (Finance)