Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Renting


I would like your advice. I have a fairly new home and it is very nice. Because of some life changes I want to rent home out with a minimum of a 1 year lease. I really don't want people moving in and out. How should I handle the legal paper work of everything? Should I have an attorney put the lease together and have the people go to the attorneys office to sign the paper work? Or is it fine for me to just handle everything? Can I charge a higher security deposit than a months rent? All your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jerry,

You can do it yourself if you want, but I highly recommend that you hire an attorney.  We can do it for you if it's in the state of California.  An attorney-drafted agreement is always recommended and the attorney can include provisions that fit your individual needs much better than a standard template.  At least in California, the amount of security deposit that you can demand depends on whether or not the property is being offered furnished or unfurnished.

Thanks for your question!

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Piotrowski, Esq.


My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.


Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]