Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Eviction rights/time frame

My landlord requires us to pay him our rent in the form of a money order. I purchased and mailed the money order on 12/6, as of today, 12/14, my landlord has not received the rent. He is threatening to file for eviction and require us to pay the court costs. While I know we would not be responsible for court costs, how "late" does rent have to be before he can file for eviction? We signed a one year lease that expired in July 2009. Due to the money order requirement, the money orders cannot be cancelled and a refund processed for two weeks after purchase.

Hi Marty,

You'll want to research Nevada law here:

The landlord may not be able to demand payment only via money order.  As a best practice, you should always send the rent payments with at least delivery confirmation and/or tracking just to avoid this type of scenario.  If you have proof of mailing, then that will help you if the landlord files an eviction against you if you can show that you mailed the rent payment on time.  Also, look at your rental agreement and see if it says the rent payment needs to be mailed or received by the landlord no later than the due date.  If you do not have proof of mailing, then you may need to send another rent payment ASAP.  At least in California, the landlord can begin eviction proceedings immediately after the rent is late.

Thanks for your question!

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.