Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/eviction


My landlord gave me 30 days to move out because she wants to raise the rent i told her no I've been living here for ten years and she has not fixed anything in the apartment and i been taking my own money to fix things I've been on a month to month basis with her for 9 years can she do that? What are my rights if any i live in nyc thanx for answering this question

Hi Stephen,

You need to check NY law and likely consult a NY attorney. Generally, a landlord OR a tenant can terminate a month-to-month tenancy by giving proper notice. NY might have laws restricting evictions. You want to check on that.

If there is something in the apartment that needs to be fixed, it is your responsibility to notify the landlord and then the landlord has a reasonable amount of time to fix the issue. Merely cosmetic issues may not need to be fixed. However, issues relating to habitability would need to be corrected.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Piotrowski, Esq.


My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.


Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.

©2017 All rights reserved.