Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/renting deposit

I recently applied to a apartment complex who had me pay a $100 deposit and $40 application fee. They called me back 2 days later telling me that they would lease to me, but I had to pay them  1140.00 deposit. They said they can charge different amounts of deposits depending on credit with no explanation. Is this legal?

Hi Joel,

You would need to check your local state law. Normally, a landlord can decide on the amount of the deposit.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.