Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Tension between landlady and me

Hey David,

I would appreciate some advice from you. My landlady and I had a verbal agreement last year where she mentioned it was okay for me to have cats. At the time I didn't have any but expressed interest in getting them. Time went by and more people began moving into the other rooms in the shared house.

I recently adopted 2 kittens a few months ago and things have gotten worse because the housemates hate them. The kittens would sometimes make accidents on the floor all of which I have cleaned after within the day or next (if I was away or accident happened overnight). The landlady wants me to keep them in my room if I'm out which I agree to but threatens my security deposit which I don't. What are your thoughts on this?

Hi Davy,

The security deposit can normally be used to repair any damages and clean up any messes left behind by you when you vacate the property. If the landlord verbally allowed you to have cats at the property, the landlord may be able to change her mind and not allow cats anymore, so long as the landlord gives you proper notice. You need to check your local landlord/tenant laws. As for your housemates, have you tried talking to them and hearing their side of the story? Maybe they are allergic or have some other reason. Listen to their concerns and see if you can work out an arrangement that everyone can live with.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.