Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Breaking Lease Agreement



I have recently moved into an apartment building where I have been receiving electrical shocks/jolts while living there.  I'm not really sure where they're coming from.

Initially, I thought that I had something going on internally (with my own body), but I went to the doctor and everything is fine.

I told the manager and she said she would look into it, but there is still no change.  These volts make my leg numb and causes dizziness.

At this time, I'm concerned about my health.  What can I do to break my lease so that I can move to a more peaceful environment?"

Hi Tonya,

You need to check local state law. You did not specify which state you reside in. In most states, you can request the landlord to fix any electrical problems and if they don't, then you can fix the problem yourself and deduct from the rent. You might also be able to terminate your lease. It's very important that you check local state law before proceeding. I'd recommend contacting a local attorney for help.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Piotrowski, Esq.


My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.


Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.

©2017 All rights reserved.