Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/refrigerator breaks

I rent a house and the refrigerator has broken twice in a month to leave us with 5 bags of destroyed food.  Is the owner responsible?

Hi Dan,

That is an unfortunate situation. Did you notify the landlord about the problem? Did you give the landlord a reasonable opportunity to repair the refrigerator? Did the refrigerator come with the apartment? All of these are important questions. Generally, the landlord would need to be given notice and an opportunity to fix. As to the food itself, the landlord is probably not responsible, unless you are able to show that the landlord knew or had reason to know of what was in the refrigerator, and knew about the refrigerator problem and took no action to remedy it. You should check your state law for more information.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.