Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Apartment lease



I live in a four bedroom apartment in SF,CA.  I moved in two years ago through an ad on craigslist.  The guy that has his name on the lease is moving out 12/31.  Turns out none of the rest of us are able to sign a year long lease, so we will be forced to move out.  Is there any way we would be able to keep our rooms?  Thanks!

If you are living in the property illegally, or if you did not have permission from the landlord to live in the property, then you might have to move or face being evicted.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Piotrowski, Esq.


My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.


Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.

©2017 All rights reserved.