Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Last Month's Rent and Security Deposit

When we moved in to our rental (January 15, 2012) we were required to pay: First month's rent (was prorated: $352 for half of January), Last month's rent ( a full month's rent of $675) and a security deposit of $500. We are moving out when our lease is up and we haven given verbal notice 30 days prior to our leaving. My question is: Will we receive the security deposit ($500) AND half of the last month's rent ($352) back since we are leaving Jan 15th?

You should give written notice of your intent not to renew. You will likely only need to pay 15 days of January rent. The security deposit should be handled in accordance with your state's law. Here's a link to TN landlord/tenant law:

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.