Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Roommate


Hello my question is if I could send my roommate to small claims court for never paying rent in a apartment we shar? He signed himself off the lease so the apartments can't ask him for money. I was wondering cn I send him to court to pay the rest of the landlords rent or to recover at least money for renting the apartment because he was homeless at the time? I owe a total of 2650 of rent left and I'd like if he gets responsible and pays it off. I live in Arizona btw.

If you and your roommate had an agreement (hopefully in writing!), then you may be able to take him to small claims court. If the agreement was not in writing, you could still win if you have evidence that shows that there was an agreement. Without evidence or something in writing, it might be hard to prove the existence of a prior agreement.

Hope this helps.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Piotrowski, Esq.


My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.


Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.

©2017 All rights reserved.