Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/just bought home and a tenant is there

we just bought a home and the previous owner has a renter living there. The renter is in non-payment of rent and previous owner posted a 30 day demand to vacate the property. when we take possession of the property how do we get the renter out if they are still there. we are in raytown, Missouri (Jackson county). Do we have to evict said renter?

Hi Angie,

If the tenant is not paying the contractual rental amount, you may be able to evict them through the court process. The court process generally starts by serving the tenant with a termination notice, followed by the court unlawful detainer process. You may want to read Missouri landlord/tenant law here:

You may also want to read my landlord/tenant blog. The blog is specific to California, but a lot of the same rules and principles may apply:

Thanks for your question!

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.