Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Coop

I have a general quesiton. I rented a one bedroom in the coop, where a board management approval is required. I did not have enough income qualificaiton so I signed the lease with the owner/shareholder without going through the management. I already live there a few months. What would be the consequences in the event the management company finds out? Do they have the right to kick me out without permission of the court? If not, what other actions can the management take?  Thank you very  much for your help.

Hi Alex,

You should have gotten the approval of management if that was a requirement. Now that you are living at the property, the management would likely have to go through the court process to remove you. The first thing they might do is serve you with a termination notice. They might get a judgment against you for possession, rent, attorney fees and costs.

Thanks for your question!

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.