Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/tenant privacy

Hi David,

I have lived in a four plex townhouse for nearly 9 years. Recently the unit next door went vacant and was rented to a young woman who has a violent ex-husband. My landlord knew this ahead of time as her deposit was paid by a victim assistance program. My issue is this; He gave her permission to install security cameras on the front and back of the building. They point at our common parking area, my front porch and my neighbors back patio as well as his front porch. We were not notified nor asked if we were ok with it. She told me they record 24-7 and that she watches them back when she gets home and even told me things she has seen on camera. Is this a violation of my California tenant or civil rights?

Hi Jana,

It's probably not a violation, since the cameras are pointed towards the common areas and outdoor areas that anyone could see.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your question!

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.