Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/The pet deposit


Hi Mr.Piotrowski. This MO Ashen from Alabama. My friends and I just moved out from a house which we rent it for one year. I have a pet which I get permission by paying $300 to my landlord. The lease wrote that:" If the Lessee having one or more pets on the premises, the Lessee must pay a non-refundable pet deposit per pet and agree to the terms of Lessor's Pet Policy and Pet Addendum, which would become addendum to this lease on the date of the Lessee's acknowledging and accepting the terms of  the addendum in writing.
So there is my question, does this non-refundable pet fee cover all the damage that my pet have done? My landlord is asking me to pay almost a thousand dollars for replacing his wood floor because of the small bubble. I did not sign with my LL a Pet Addendum. According to the laws in Alabama, do I need to pay that amount of money?

Hi Mo,

You are likely responsible for damages caused to the rental unit that are above and beyond what would be considered "normal wear and tear." You can double check Alabama laws here:

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Piotrowski, Esq.


My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.


Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.

©2017 All rights reserved.