Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Landlord refuses to return deposit


I rented a house in Baton Rouge, LA for 3 years without a problem.  The deposit was a full month's rent (about $1,000).  Upon vacating the property and moving to Nevada, I received a letter stating that the deposit did not cover the damages to the property (in which there were none.  The house was left in better condition than in which it was rented).  Since I am out of state, how do I handle this?  I appreciate any input.

Hi Cynthia,

To resolve disputes relating to the security deposit, both parties would probably need to go to small claims court in the area close to where the property is located. Of course, if the landlord sues you, then they will need to serve you.

You may want to write a certified letter to the landlord letting him/her know why you disagree with the accounting.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Piotrowski, Esq.


My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.


Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]