Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Raised rent, please need answer quickly

We had paid our deposit on a rental house and had not signed a lease because the realtor hadn't had it. Now the owner says he wants more rent even though it was listed at 950. Is this legal? The rent went from 950 to 1200. What can we do? We need a fast response. Thank you so much!

Hi Jane,

Did you sign any rental application or other document? Was there any type of verbal agreement? Normally, nothing is "set in stone" and either party can change their mind on a transaction until a deal is actually reached. However, in this case, if you already paid your deposit, you might have a good claim against the landlord raising the rent, or at least you should be able to get your deposit back if you wish to move somewhere else.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.